Monday, November 10, 2008

Picture of the Day - Leaves in the Merced River

Am writing this post from my hotel in Needles, CA. If you don't have a map handy, it is in Southern California, right on the Arizona border. It is only a stopping point after a long drive from the San Francisco Bay Area. It was a long, boring drive, mostly through the Central Valley, where an intense layer of smog made it more ugly than usual. It didn't clear up until I climbed into the mountains east of Bakersfield.

After breakfast, I will head south to Yuma, Arizona to see my son Eric and his wife Jill. Yuma sits on the California/Arizona/Mexico border. All three borders actually meet there...in the middle of the Colorado River. Looking forward to a couple of days there before I head out again. Have to keep moving as the weather is turning colder, even in Arizona. It will be down to 77 in Yuma today. I, of course, will be wearing shorts today for the first time in a long while.

Anyway, I photographed this image in Yosemite Valley, right on the Merced River. This picture would not be possible in spring or summer as the river usually moves along pretty fast. But, now, in late autumn, it is very low and moves ever so slowly. I love the depth given to the image by the one leaf that is underwater and of the reflection on top of the water.

Enjoy and will write again soon.

No comments: