Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Days and Weeks of a Full Time Artist - Part 3

When I started writing this series on becoming a full time artist, I didn't actually intend it to be a primer for artists who are thinking about making a living from it. It just sort of took on a life of its own as I began writing it. And I am glad it turned out this way as it may be helpful for someone thinking about making this kind of life change.

In reading the last two installments, my wife Susan said asked me if I was worried about people thinking that I was whining. If you are thinking that, banish that thought from your mind. I have never been happier in my life than I am now, helped along, I'm sure, because I am experiencing some success. It is a good life for me and I can't envision doing anything else. And I think the previous 58 years have prepared me well for what I hope is the last career in my life.

There are a lot of insecurities in play as you wonder if your work will be accepted by the public and if you can make a living at it. But, most of us live with insecurities these days.

But let's get back to art shows and jurying. To be accepted for an art show, you and your work must be accepted by a panel of jurors. In the bigger shows, that panel changes every year. And each show is unique in its requirements. And each requires some thought on your part on how to enter. You just sort of learn as you go on this. Even smaller shows will require you to submit samples of your work before you are accepted.

Most shows require a long lead time for entry. For instance, the Edmonds Art Festival, held in mid-June, requires all entries to be in by January 7. The Boise Art Festival in September has and entry deadline of March 31. All shows require at least 2-7 months.

As mentioned above, each show has different requirements. Many shows, especially the bigger, more prestigious shows, require slides of your work for jurying...anywhere from 4-8 slides. And the quality of your slides is very important. Some will accept photographs, while others are now accepting digital prints on a CD.

Almost all shows require one photo or slide of your display tent. This could be a problem for a new artist who hasn't even purchased a tent yet. But, without this picture, you might as well not enter. For my first year, I set up a tent in my front yard, complete with artworks displayed inside. It seemed to have worked. During my first year, my display underwent many changes, and at the end of the year, I took several pictures of it for next year's entry.

Jurying can be very frustrating and depressing, and it can be very uplifting. It is something you have to do every year, even for shows that you were accepted for the previous year. That also makes it a little terrifying as you are asking people you will never see or know to make a judgment on your work and, in a sense, on your life. And you have to do it over and over again.

You also have to learn not to take the rejections personally, even though your first reaction is one of depression, followed by anger. Jurors are human beings with their own stengths and flaws. One friend who has been accepted by a major show for five straight years, has now been rejected two years in a row for the same show. Go figure.

This year alone, I was rejected by one of the most insignificant shows imaginable in a small town, but was accepted by one of the most prestigious shows on the west coast as well as several other major shows. But, I was also rejected by a good show here in Washington, two years in a row. It is hard to figure why, especially as the judges see the exact same artworks.

But, while you can't take it personally, is still affects your income and your life. Not all shows are equal, so if you are accepted in smaller shows but rejected for larger shows, your income will suffer. Last year, I did a major show where I sold 48 pieces of my work in two days. The next week, I did a smaller show and sold only five pieces in four days.

A good friend of mine has been a full time artist for over 25 years. His work is excellent and sells very well. He has participated in many major shows over the years and done very well. But he has finally tired of the insecurities that come with depending on jurors year after year. He finally opened his own gallery this year and it has started out well.

In the next installment, I will talk about galleries, both your own and those owned by others. Is that a good way to go if you are an artist?

No comments: