Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Postcard from the Oregon Coast

If I could find anything blacker than black, I'd use it.  -J. M. W. Turner

Some weeks ago, I wrote about my visit to the Turner Exhibition in San Francisco. As I said then, Turner is my favorite painter. I have loved his works since the first time I ever saw one years and years ago. Not only have I seen his work in San Francisco, but also in the Tate Gallery in London (his home turf, so to speak) and in other galleries around the world.

Several years ago, I attended a three -day family reunion with my wife’s family. It was held on the Oregon Coast, near Lincoln City. The rental of a large home on the ocean was arranged. The three trees in this painting were the view from the living room window. I took a photo of them, (along with many others that weekend), not sure what I would do with this particular one.

With the help of Photoshop, Lightroom, and some new digital painting plugins) I decided to try and create a digital painting in the style of Turner. The picture above was the result. If Turner were alive, he would probably laugh at it. But no matter.

Turner was marvelous when it came to painting clouds. He was a master of the sky. In the original photo, a storm was clearing but another was coming in from the west. These hearty trees have overcome any kind of weather that the Pacific Ocean could bring. This was perfect archetype for the brushes of Turner. So it was that I chose the style of JMW Turner as my model for this painting.

I am sure that any Turner expert could reign down a deluge of criticism on my humble efforts but, that is OK with me. I am not Turner…I am only me. It is my rendition of a painting done in the technique of my favorite painter. I loved how it turned out in the end and am pleased to present it to you for your consideration.

No comments: