Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Postcard from the Desert

Sunset in the Desert

The sweet aroma of desert dust fills my lungs
While I sit and cherish every breath.
Gazing at the beautiful sunset in the west
I can’t help but to tear up at the sight of the
Wonderful purple, pink, and orange colors
Dance across the sky as they bid the sun goodnight.
Unaware, my hand slowly reaches out to the left of me,
Tries to get a grasp but all it catches is air.
Bowing my head I realize yet again
That I am here alone, watching the sunset
With no one at my side.
After the first few seconds,
My body begins to tremble, shake involuntarily.
There’s a horrible aching pain in my chest,
I tightly try to clench at my heart as I begin
To either laugh or cry, neither a difference to me.
It begins to beat faster, my shaking more violent.
I look to my left again praying there will be someone
There to hold me.
Quickly I blink a few times to wash the tears back,
Hoping when it clears that my love is there.
To my dismay I sit here in the desert alone,
Watching the sunset once again with no one at my side.
Taking deep breaths and wrapping my arms around my knees,
I gaze back straight ahead to watch the beauty of a desert sunset.
One of these days I’ll have someone by my side,
However that someday is not happening today.

Poem by Vanessa ‘0

Digital Painting by J.R. Corkrum

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)
To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com
or visit my Flickr Page to see my latest works.

No comments: