Wednesday, December 02, 2015

Postcard from Zion

I think I mentioned in a recent post that I had been to Zion earlier this month to photograph the autumn colors in Zion Canyon. I think I also mentioned that this part of the trip was a bust! There wasn’t any color to speak of…many of the green trees went directly to brown, bypassing red and yellow. Even the yellows where one could find them were not all that vibrant. And the reds? Forget about it. They were not there.

After that disappointment, my friend and fellow photographer Dave Forster and I headed up into the high country of Zion. It’s a spectacular climb up the mountains with breath-taking views of Zion plus the mile-long trip through the Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel. Up top, you find spectacular red-rock mountains with lots of amazing geological formations.

Sadly, except for one location high up near Checkerboard Mesa, Autumn colors were also sadly absent. But that one location yielded some pretty good photos, if I do say so myself. We even found a beautiful all-yellow tree that made a great backdrop for some photos you will see later on. 

After shooting those photos, I headed back to the car as it was quite cold. But along the way, I looked down as I always do and came across this lovely little scene with a couple of small rocks, a little snow and some very interesting thin ice patterns. It is one of nature’s abstractions and I was lucky to be there at just the right time to photograph it. The sun was behind a mountain but was starting to emerge. In a very short while, this scene was gone.

Some of you may think I placed the snow on the rock. I did not. This scene was shot exactly as I found it. If I moved the camera down a little bit, you would see my feet. The whole scene is perhaps 6” to 7” wide…a very small area but very unique and quite beautiful. One of natures small miracles that you should always look for when photographing in the wilderness.

No comments: