Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Postcard from Kaslo

Kaslo is a colorful small town on the western shores of Kootenay Lake in eastern British Columbia. You couldn’t ask for a better place to spend some time. On a few occasions, I stayed in a cabin just south of town, so I got to know it well.

There is a 28 mile road that heads west from Kaslo up into the magnificent Selkirk Mountains. Eventually, the road ends in another small town…New Denver, on the eastern shores of Slocan Lake. The views here are amazing as the Valhalla Mountains rise up on the west side of the lake. They are aptly names as they look like something out of Norse mythology where the Viking gods live.

But, I digress. On the way to New Denver, you come across two lakes…Fish Lake and Bear Lake. I got up early one morning before sunrise and headed up to the lakes. I got there in time for sunrise and was able to capture this image.

To be honest, I don’t remember which lake this is. But, I guess it doesn’t matter. There is nothing better than being high up in the mountains at sunrise and seeing a beautiful site like this. I took this photo somewhere around the turn of the century (doesn’t that sound weird), which mean is was done on film. Thanks to my scanner and Photoshop, I was able to recreate the scene as I saw it. Even though this photo is at least 13 years old, it is still one of my favorites.

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

No comments: