Monday, March 04, 2013

Postcard from San Jose

Sometimes a photographic image is just made for painting…meaning it is a decent photo, but when I turn it into a painting or sketch, it gives it a whole new life. I don’t necessarily understand it, but it is true.

Look at a sampling of works by the great Impressionist painters, Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, Degas, etc. Then ask yourself if it would make a good photograph. Sometimes, yes…sometimes no. But, the key to understanding the Impressionists is they were the first modern painters to take ordinary scenes from daily lives and turn them into great works of art.

Prior to them, painter’s subjects were often heroic images from past times or the Bible, or from mythology. A bit of an oversimplification for sure, but generally true. The Impressionists changed everything…not just painting, but the way we look at life. They opened the world up the whole world for painters…and photographers.

It is difficult to photograph a heroic scene, or one from the Bible, or Greek Mythology. Yes, we have photo journalists that photograph wars and historic events. But we also have a plethora of photographers who make photos as art. They may be of beautiful places like a national park, or street scenes, or building and architecture. No matter…these images become art thanks to the vision and philosophy of the Impressionists.

Now, back to this image. I took it on the campus of San Jose State. The building and this courtyard were there when I attended college back in the 60’s but I never went inside. I did in July.

The courtyard stuck me as quite lovely and peaceful. So I photographed it as a subject for future painting or sketch. I often do that. While the original photo does convey those same feelings, I think this sketch does it better. My opinion, of course.

The technique is digital soft pastel. It is the first time I used this particular technique. I often experiment with new methods and new tools. It’s part of the makeup of an artist…trying new things to see where it takes them. I enjoy this part of my life, and now that I am retired from the everyday, work-a-day world, I can do what I damn well please…and revel in the results…well mostly. 

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

If you subscribe to this blog by e-mail and wish to purchase a print or send a free e-mail greeting card using this image, click this link to the main Postcard Blog Site.

No comments: