Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Postcard from the Navajo Nation


When one travels the deep back country of the Navajo Nation in Arizona, one never knows what one will come across. Especially if a visitor is not a part of the Navajo Tribe, as I am most definitely not. Such is the case with these twin rock formations.

I needed to get from Canyon de Chelly in Northeastern Arizona to Farmington, New Mexico on semi-urgent business. I was going to take the 2 lane highway near the National Monument north to another highway, then drive east into New Mexico. A park ranger, herself a member of the Navajo Nation, suggested a shorter route that would take me through the Nation’s back roads. Being an adventurous soul, I decided to take her advice.

And am I glad I did. I saw some beautiful country that took me past special rock formations and cliffs and high up into the mountains before dropping me into the plains of northern New Mexico. I have share a couple of previous photos from this trip before…and now you can add this one to that list.

Don’t ask me the name of these rocks, for I surely can’t tell you, and even if I could, I am sure I could not pronounce the Navajo name. No matter. I am just happy I got to see the sights.

No comments: