Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Postcard from the Valley of the Goblins


Happy New Year to all my readers. Thanks for putting up with my extended vacation.

When we were last together, I was finishing up my stay at Capital Reef National Park. I only had one day left to explore before heading off to be with family and friends and to photograph a wedding. Having seen what I wanted to see at this location, I got out my friendly photographic guide book for Utah to look for one more new place to visit.

I found and interesting sounding state park called “Valley of the Goblins,” located about 60 miles north and east of my campsite…and that is where I decided to go.

I headed out fairly early in the morning, hoping to see some new, exciting things. Actually, until I got into the vicinity of the park, there was very little exciting to see, photographically speaking. It was an easy drive to Goblin Valley, although somewhat circuitous.

The Valley of the Goblins is definitely well named, although it is more of a basin than a valley. As you approach the parking lot, you see this strange rock formation off to the left (photo #1). I liken it to be a natural signpost, giving you some idea of the strange sights that lie ahead.

The parking lot sits above the basin and although there are a few trails to take, the signs in the parking lot encourage you to wander into the basin on your own, which is exactly what I did. You can’t get lost because it is a basin and you can always look up and see the parking lot.

The Valley of the Goblins can best be described as a refuge for some of the strangest rock formations ever seen. A good description comes from Wikipedia - “Its eminent feature is its thousands of hoodoos and hoodoo rocks, which are formations of mushroom-shaped rock pinnacles, some as high as several meters. The distinct shape of these rocks comes from an erosion-resistant layer of rock atop softer sandstone.”

What is not in Wikipedia is that the park is an extremely difficult to photograph. It must be done in the early to mid morning or late afternoon. The light in midday is overpowering making landscape shots almost impossible. As I was there in mid-morning, I hiked down and across the basin so the sun would be at my back for photography.

The rocks themselves are a very brownish red (more brown than red) and there really is no other colors, save for the blue of the sky. That is why I chose only one color photograph…the rest are in black and white as they are more attractive.

But all that aside, it is a fascinating place to explore and see all the different shaped rocks that nature has created here. You almost have the feeling you are on another planet (in fact, a sci-fi movie called Galaxy Quest was partially filmed here). No two rocks are the same, although some have similar shapes.

The other two photos show part of the basin as seen from the parking lot and one of the many strange-shaped rocks in the basin. Although this park is definitely out of the way, you might make a side trip to it if you are ever in the general vicinity.

I hoped you have enjoyed my traveler’s tales from my September trip into Northern Arizona and Southwest Utah. You will see more photos from this and other trip as I continue to share some of my on-going adventures with you.

No comments: