Friday, October 30, 2009

Postcard from Red Canyon – Up a Mountain




One of the items I carry with me on these trips is a marvelous 3 volume set of books called “Photographing the Southwest,” by Laurent Martres. Volume one is about Southern Utah, volume two is Arizona, and volume three covers Colorado and New Mexico. It is an indispensible guide to places worthy for photographing, including the best time of day for shooting each location. It also rates the scenic and photographic qualities of every place mentioned, road conditions and ease of the trails.

In volume one, there is a paragraph on Red Canyon where it describes a scenic trail called the “Arches Trail,”using the word “easy” in the description. That sounded good to me, as the reward at the end of the trail are some some red rocks with window openings (hence the name Arches).

Well, Mr. Martres and I must have a different definition of “easy.” The trail was almost exclusively up a steep mountain…so steep in places they had to build wooden stairs. Now remember, Red Canyon is already at an altitude of about 7,000 feet, and this trail goes much higher. And I realize that I am no spring chicken anymore, but climbing a mountain can in no way be called easy. I don’t care who you are!

But, despite the challenges and many stops to catch my breath, I made it to the top where the window rocks are located (photo #2). The view, as you might imaging is quite lovely, but lack of oxygen in my system made me appreciate it a little less than normal. But, I am privately proud of myself for making it to the top. It reminded me of my journey through the Fiery Furnace in the Arches National Park, a story that I have not yet told you.

Anyway, before the trail starts to climb the mountain, you come across an interesting rock structure, as seen in the third photograph. Legend has it that it was built by Butch Cassidy and his Hole-in-the-Wall gang as a simple food storage facility. Hole-in-the-Wall is actually located in Wyoming, not here…but who am I to disregard legends.

As I explained in my last blog, I saved my morning photography for Bryce Canyon, ten miles to the east. In my next edition, I will take you there and show you some new sights from Bryce, never before photographed…well by me anyway.

No comments: