Monday, October 12, 2009

Postcard from Lee’s Ferry – Beginnings and Endings




Hello, everyone. I am back in Tucson, where I belong. It was a great 3+ weeks on the road, seeing old friends, going to places where I have never been, taking photos until my trigger finger was worn out, gathering new memories and stories, and just plain enjoying myself.

My trip covered 6 states and over 3,000 miles. I camped in beautiful places and was favored with outstanding weather. It was a successful journey that ended with a 3-day wedding photo shoot that turned out very well on all levels.

I started and ended my trip with my son…first enjoying football and great food in Mesa, AZ where he was on his weekend warrior duty…then spending the last day of my trip with him and his lovely wife Jill at their home in Blythe before heading home to Tucson. While I had a fantastic time, I was ready to come home.

After my trip to Mesa, and an overnight stay in Flagstaff to watch football, I headed north on Arizona 89 (and later 89A) towards the north rim of the Grand Canyon. My first stop was in Lee’s Ferry, AZ, many miles NE of the Grand Canyon. Lee’s Ferry is where most raft trips down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon originate. It is about the only place where you can get to the river as the start of the deep canyons begin shortly afterword.

There is something special about traveling roads where you have never been and don’t know what’s around the next bend. It is what I live for…to see new places and things. When I travel a new road, the music goes off and the audio books are put away. This is time to savor the sights and smells of new places.

In the first photo, you can see the Colorado River beneath the Navajo Bridge that spans the canyon at Lee’s Ferry. This picture was taken from the old Navajo Bridge that also spans the canyon next to the new bridge. It is a spectacular view from here…the beginnings of the Grand Canyon.

The next picture shows a balance rock which is on the road down to the river. I chose to do it in black and white as the rocks and canyon walls are all red. Only the sky is blue.

The last photo shows the Vermillion Cliffs which run for many, many miles along Highway 89A. Needless to say I had some great cloud formations that day.

Next stop, the Grand Canyon North Rim.

No comments: