Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Picture of the Day - The Lonely Lighthouse

Simplicity should be something one strives for in photography. Composed correctly, an image with just a few elements can be very pleasing to the eye and the mind. So it is with this photo of the Yaquina Head Lighthouse, located near Newport, OR. There is only a fabulous post-sunset sky, a tiny bit of the ocean, the darkened ground and, of course, the lighthouse. Nothing else is needed. By having the ground so dark, it hides a large field of wild grass which would have taken away from the image's simplicity.

I always try to achieve simplicity of image when out taking photos, but it doesn't happen as often as I would like. And, it goes without saying, that so much of photography is being in the right place at the right time. I only had this one day at this location, so, in a sense, I got lucky with a great sunset. There have been many more occasions when I waited all day for a fabulous sunset and didn't "get lucky."

One thing I remember about this photo was a park ranger almost screaming at me to get out of the park because it closed at sunset...and to capture this image, I had to be in the park after the sun was gone.

FYI, this image was captured several years ago with my 35mm film camera using slide film and the camera mounted on a tripod.

In my next edition, I will show you a digital painting that I made from this image using a unique style that requires absolute simplicity.

No comments: