Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Should I Take This as a Compliment?

I received a call today from one of the galleries that displays my work. And just so my local friends who read this web log know, it is not one that is in Grant County.

They said they had good news and bad news for me. The good news was they sold one of my limited edition large canvas prints, "Fall Fisherman". Needless to say, I was happy about that.

And what was the bad news? It seems one of my other large prints, "My Uncle's Barn", has apparently been stolen. What?

No one is quite sure how the theft occurred. The prints hang in a large, well traveled area near a restaurant entrance, which I always considered a plus. The prints are secured to the wall in such a way that it a takes a special tool to get them off. Or, apparently, a really strong yank when no one is looking will also work. Whatever the case, it's gone now and there is no point in trying to fix blame. And I know that gallery has learned a valuable lesson and will work on their security.

I can't help but think that someone must have really loved my work to take that kind of chance to steal it in a public place. It was not small by any means so they couldn't stick it inside a coat or a purse. It was big!! So, there was ample opportunity for whoever took it to be seen and subsequently arrested. Whoever stole it took a pretty big chance of being caught.

But that brings me back to my question...should I take it as a compliment? Could it be said that someone who takes a big chance to steal a work by a relatively unknown artist may actually love it more than some who might purchase it?

Well, I do know most people who buy my work do so because they like it very much, maybe even love it. And I don't want to put a legitimate buyer on the same level as a thief. I also know that if someone stole the Mona Lisa or some other famous painting, it would be for money, not for love of the artwork. And you sure can't rank my work on the Most Wanted list for art thieves.

Still, I just can't help wondering about the person who stole it. I'm pretty sure they couldn't afford to buy it. But perhaps they loved it so much that they had to take the big chance so they could love it at home. I don't know if that is true, but I would like to think it is. In that case, I hope they will always treasure it while always regretting the fact they stole part of my livelihood. There are always two sides to every theft.

No comments: