Thursday, April 28, 2016

Postcard from Rome

It was late afternoon when our flight from London landed in Rome. I was with my then-wife Susan, her two brothers and their spouses. A shuttle bus awaited to take my fellow passengers from the airport to our various hotels. It took about an hour to get to our hotel, located just two blocks away from Rome's main train station. I chose this hotel for that very reason.

While checking in, I noticed a brochure for a night tour of Rome. I talked to the desk clerk about it and she said the tour leaves from near the train station. She checked and there was still room for all 6 o us if we wanted to do it. I checked with the group, and they all said they wanted to do it, some more reluctantly that others. The last thing I wanted to do was sit in my hotel room on my first night in the Eternal City.

The bus picked us up at the appropriate time and off we went to see this magical city of lights. Our first stop was the Trevi fountain, which you see here. It is certainly more beautiful at night than during the day. I had my camera with me, of course, and because of the low light situation, I used Susan's shoulder to steady myself and the camera. It obviously helped because I got a nice, clear photo.

Trevi Fountain is the largest Baroque fountain in the city and one of the most famous fountains in the world. It appears in several notable films, including Federico Fellini's La Dolce Vita and Three Coins in the Fountain. The fountain is at the junction of three roads and marks the terminal point of the modern Acqua Vergine, one of the aqueducts that supplied water to ancient Rome.

Legend holds that in 19 BC thirsty Roman soldiers were guided by a young girl to a source of pure water thirteen kilometers (8.1 miles) from the city of Rome. The discovery led Augustus to commission the construction of a 14-mile aqueduct leading into the city, which was named Aqua Virgo, or Virgin Waters, in honor of the legendary young girl. The aqueduct served the hot Baths of Agrippa, and Rome, for over four hundred years.

The plan to build the current fountain was proposed by Pope Urban VIII in 1629, who thought that the then existing fountain was quite dull. After several false starts, fountain construction began in 1732 and was finished 30 years later. It was refurbished a few year before our arrival.

Of course there is a legend that if you throw a coin into the fountain, you will return again to Rome. However it must be done in a certain way…you must toss the coin with your right hand over your left shoulder with your back to the fountain. Of course I did that, as did every member of our party. Each year, over 3,000 Euros are collected from the fountain and given to charity. It is illegal to remove coins from the fountain, but that does not stop a few folks from trying.

Does the legend work? So far, it has not worked for me, although I have been back to Italy since then…just not Rome. But I am willing to give it a fair chance, at least for as long I remain on this planet.

PS: There is a miniature fountain on the left side of the Trevi Fountain. Legend says that if a couple drinks from the “small fountain of lovers”, they will be forever faithful to their partner. Didn't know about that one which probably explains why I am single. Oh well!

No comments: