Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Postcard from the Navajo Nation

The Journey Continues:

When last we spoke, I needed to leave Canyon de Chelly and get to Farmington, NM before the bank closed. A park ranger  showed me a route through the Navajo Nation on back roads. I struck out early in the morning as I knew it was a long drive.

To say the least, it was an interesting trip through small Navajo communities in the high desert…first north along Indian Route 12. Then east along Indian Route 13 through some beautiful red rock country, and eventually up into the high mountains where it had recently snowed.

From there I eventually descended down into New Mexico, still on Indian Route 13, passing the famous Ship Rock and eventually connecting up to New Mexico Highway 491, then on to Highway 64 and into Farmington.

The Indian Route roads were all just fine. If you want to see my route on Google Maps, you will have to really drill down as they are not on the big map. While I was in a bit of a hurry, I did stop here and there to take photos like the one you see above.

This country is little explored by tourists as it is way, way off the beaten path. But I am so glad I did it. I loved the views all along the way. On this day, I felt more like an explorer than a tourist…although I did feel like any moment I would be pulled over by Tribal Police and told I was trespassing on sacred ground.

When I finally got into Farmington, I found the bank easily as it was right on the main road. I conducted my business, then had to figure out what I would do the rest of the day. As it was late in the afternoon, my options for travel were limited as I really had no idea what was here.

Eventually I found a coffee shop with Internet and did some business and wrote a few e-mails…you know, all the things you do with a laptop while traveling. I also learned a little more about the city and tried to figure out what I might do in the evening to pass the time.

Farmington, while not big, has a population of over 45,000 people. It sits on the Colorado Plateau at an elevation of 5,400 feet. Its principle industries are the mining of petroleum, natural gas, and coal. I also learned that it has some movie theaters, so my plan that evening was to go to one of them and see a James Bond movie…which is precisely what I did.

As for sleeping accommodations, besides hotels, motels, or campgrounds, there is one other choice for weary travelers like myself…and that is a Wal-Mart parking lot. I learned before I even started this trip that Wal-Mart welcomes overnight RV parking for free. Now while my van is not exactly a full fledged RV, I spent several nights along my journey in a Wal-Mart lot with never a problem. 

Of course, I couldn’t use my camp stove for cooking, but I did not have to. Farmington has fine restaurants for dinner and breakfast as well as Starbucks for morning coffee. So I spent a peaceful night in Farmington and slept like a baby.

The next morning I had to decide where to go next. I got out my maps, guide books and computer to chose the direction…then took off.

More to come…  

No comments: