Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Postcard from Washington DC

A few years ago, around the Memorial Day weekend, I took a one week trip to our Nation’ Capital. I stayed with my Stepdaughter Kristen who happened to be living there at the time. It was a great visit, not only to be with her again, but to see the sights.

Besides DC, we also ventured south into Virginia to see the Civil War battlefields of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. Then north into Pennsylvania to see Gettysburg. Needless to say I was deeply moved by those sites, more than I can express here. And, being a national holiday weekend, I got to see Civil War re-enactors at all the sites. Now that it something you seldom see out here in the west.

Although it was a whirlwind tour, I did take time to explore DC and see all the famous sites. Some of the photos I took there have already shown up here. I don’t believe this one has been shared here before.

It was a beautiful late afternoon on the Mall. I managed to capture this image of the Washington Monument at sunset. Thank God for some clouds to make the sky interesting.PS: It was originally a film image scanned to make it digital.

I wasn’t sure if I would like DC before I got there. It turns out I liked it very much. The parts I visited were all very beautiful and interesting to boot. My first night there, Kristen and I had dinner at an outdoor cafĂ© right on the Mall. Good food, good company and a marvelous view. Can’t beat that combination.

I’ve spent most of my life living in the West, so this adventure allowed me to get greater acquainted with our heritage. As a bit of a history buff, I did enjoy seeing all the sights and capturing the feelings that go along with the history of America. I think I have spent much more time in Europe capturing my European roots and their history stretching back to the Roman Empire.

Sadly, I have not been back to DC since. Too bad for me. I would sure enjoy another trip to explore this city, its history, and its surrounds in greater depth.

No comments: