Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Postcard from Olympic National Park

I call this photo, “A Deer Trying to Save the Planet.” Cute name, don’t you think? I shot it up on Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. For those who don’t know, Olympic Nation Park is on the Washington State Olympic Peninsula, west of Seattle.

Its such an interesting place as it encompasses beaches along the ocean all the way up into the Olympic Mountain Range. This photo was taken at about 5,200 feet.

Because so many people visit the area, the deer are not afraid of people and will let you get close for photographs. But, I would not recommend any petting. Hurricane Ridge offers a magnificent view of the Olympic Mountains…but as the name implies, this place can get very, very windy. Also snow in July is not unknown.

The park itself is a wonder of nature. The west side of the mountains is mainly beautiful beaches and rain forests. That side gets about 150” of rain per year…the most rain in the continental US. The east side gets considerable less rain…one area northeast of the park gets only 16” per year. The east side features a plethora of old growth forests, mainly consisting of Sitka Spruce trees.

The day I was up here there were plenty of deer wandering around the large grassy fields. I photographed several of them, but this one was by far the most interesting.

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: