Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Postcard from Tempe

10 days ago, I headed north toward the greater Phoenix metropolitan area…specifically Tempe and Mesa. Not only did I want to get out-of-town and do something different, I also had an itchy shutter finger and felt like photographing something new.

My targets were two of the Arizona State campuses…the main ASU campus in Tempe and the ASU Polytechnic campus out in Mesa. It was a great day for photography…nice weather and some lovely clouds in the sky. Believe it or not, in my 5.5 years here I had never visited an ASU campus…have been close a couple of times, but never visited. And as you might have noticed over time, I have a penchant for intimate architectural photos…not whole buildings necessarily but small elements of buildings that make interesting photos.

Such is the case with this photo…it is part of the Memorial Auditorium where major events take place on campus. I was fascinated with the arches that led up the ramp to the auditorium. I knew immediately I wanted a photograph and that it would be in black and white as so many of my architectural photos are.

As you might guess, there is a major rivalry between ASU and the University of Arizona in my home town of Tucson. Not just sports, but in most everything. You can buy t-shirts here that say “ASWho?” Even I have a Arizona t-shirt that takes a shot at ASU. I did not wear it this day.

As I wandered around campus, I found it interesting to compare the two campuses. Both are located in a downtown area, but ASU feels a little more cramped. UofA is much, much larger and has far more open spaces including a gigantic, mostly grass mall that stretches on and on (very similar to the one in Washington DC). For instance, they could never hold the Tucson Book Fest at ASU as there is not enough room.

As far as architectural elements go, UofA has a bit more that ASU…but still I found many interesting buildings to photograph (as you will see here over time). Still, it is a lovely campus and I really enjoyed walking around and photographing. I also have a few more photos to show you from the Polytechnic campus in Mesa, but will save those for another day.

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: