Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Postcard from Tucson

I created this digital sketch from a photo I took on campus at the University of Arizona. For your information, it is part of the large Electrical and Computer Engineering Building. Like other buildings on campus, the architecture is a reflection of the classes taught inside. Notice the rounded top of the building that looks like a computer. There are others just like it all around the building.

Still, it fits nicely into the general architectural scheme of the entire university…and the rocks give it a desert feel. After all, we are indeed in the desert. I love all the design elements in the image…the stairs leading up to the building, the rounded exterior, and the covered walkway leading inside. All are wonderful design elements leading to the creation of the entire image.

Frankly, I think this image works much better as a digital sketch rather than a photo. As you may have noticed from recent blogs, I’ve really gotten back into sketching and painting…digitally, of course from my own photos. If I did these by hand using pencil and paints…well, take my word for it…it would not be good. My skill is in photography and now in post processing…creating different styles of images that express my inner feelings as an artist. Thank God there are new products on the market that let me experiment.

It’s funny that I thought when I retired I would have more time for photography and digital painting. But, that is not necessarily the case except perhaps in the summer when the heat keeps me indoors.

But this time of year here is amazing…the weather is wonderful and the activities abound. This week alone I have been to 3 concerts in 4 nights, two lectures and a baseball game. And this weekend is the incredible (and very large) Tucson Festival of Books where authors famous and not-so-famous, come to give talks and participate in author’s panel discussions, and of course, promote their books. It is a two day event that keeps me hopping all day long. Love it!

(To see a larger version of this image, just click on it)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: