Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Postcard from Oxford

This photo shows the chapel at Keble College, part of the Oxford University System. It is one of the largest colleges in terms of students. However, there are only around 700 undergraduates and graduate students enrolled. It is also one of the youngest of the Oxford Colleges…founded in 1870.

It was built as a monument to John Keble. He was a leading member of the Oxford Movement, which sought to stress the Catholic nature of the Church of England, which probably explains the ornate nature of this chapel, compared to others at Oxford. Consequently, the College traditionally placed a considerable emphasis on theological teaching, although this has long since ceased to be the case. 

After the WWII, the college started emphasizing scientific courses. Originally for male students only, Keble became coed in 1979. Its somewhat controversial architecture led many scholars to proclaim that is was the ugliest college in all of Oxford.

One story claims that a French visitor, on first sight of the college exclaimed, "It is magnificent but is it not the railway station?"

It is a beautiful church and I was lucky to get this shot. I was using a film camera back then and I took this photo without a tripod. Needless to say, anti-shake lenses had not been invented then. I have a great many happy memories of my times at Oxford. I would love to go back again.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: