Monday, January 20, 2014

Postcard from Capitol Reef

Every so often I love doing a black and white image. I took this photo on one of my exploratory trips down the back roads of Capitol Reef National Park in Southern Utah. It is a very undervalued National Park that gets few visitors compared to some of its neighbors such as The Arches and Canyonlands.

They get so few visitors that they don’t charge an entrance fee. There is only one campground, and they do charge for that. But, every night I was there, the campground was full by about 2:00 pm. I understand that as the campground is one of the nicest I ever stayed in. They can accommodate both tents and travel trailers.

They have a nice amphitheater for after-dark presentations. One one night, they gave a nice talk about the park, then showed an episode of Ken Burns National Park series. So for a small, undervalued park, they due on heck of a job.

The campground sits in the old Mormon settlement of Fruita. There is a long, mostly paved road that runs south from Fruita and eventually dead ends in this slot canyon. This photo shows the road going into the canyon and leading to the parking lot. From there, you can hike into the canyon and see what havoc Mother Nature can wreak with water and wind rushing through limestone canyons. While this canyon is not as narrow as other slot canyons in Utah, it is still fun and quite interesting to explore.  

I hope if you are ever in the vicinity of Capital Reef, you will take the time to explore its many nooks and crannies.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com…or visit my Flickr Page.

No comments: