Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Postcard from San Francisco

So, I can hear you asking, “What the heck is this?” Well, I am here to tell you it is a sculpture of a bow and arrow. See? You were right…it is a bow and arrow.

But not just any bow and arrow. Oh no…this one is special. This is Cupid’s bow and arrow. It is located in Rincon Park, a very small park located along the Embarcadero in San Francisco…which means it is right next the bay.The sculpture is 60 feet high and about 143 feet long and was designed and built by two Swedish sculptors (I omit their names as they are long and would drive my spellcheck crazy).

If you walk around and away from it, you will notice how "Cupid's Span" changes aspect with viewing angle and distance. Up close, its taut bowstring and vertical arrow relate to the cables and towers of the Bay Bridge.

From a moderate distance, the bow, arrow and string suggest the hull, mast and rigging of a Spanish galleon…the vessel of the colonizers. But what does that have to do with San Francisco? Well you should ask.

In doing a little research, turns out that San Francisco is the home port of Eros, the Greek god of love (his Roman name is Cupid). I was born and raised in this city and I never knew that. Must have been before my time.

But, I think it is proper that The City pay tribute to Cupid and love. Why? Because Cupid’s arrow of love is designed to pierce your heart. And where did I leave my heart? In San Francisco, of course. Just go with it!

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

No comments: