Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Postcard from the University of Arizona

Before you ask, I have no idea of the name of these plants. All I know is they are beautiful and a joy to photograph.  I love how the cactus almost seems to spin. Every time I look at this image, I swear I can almost see it going around in a circle. What a great optical illusion.

These plants are located near the Bio Research Building on the north side of the University of Arizona campus. If you have not visited this campus, you don’t where that is. But trust me, if you ever visit Tucson, make a point of visiting this beautiful campus. But be aware, it is quite large, so plan to spend a few hours here.

In past blogs, I have shown you some of the beautiful architecture around the campus. I have even shown a handful of flower photos from here. But, let me tell you, the colorful landscaping around the campus is something to behold all year round…one of the advantages of living in Tucson.

They do a special job planting beautiful flowers, not only from the desert, but flowers you see in gardens all over the world. There is a special garden located in the center of the campus that features only desert flora including trees and large cacti. They even have a large, but rare Organ Pipe Cactus.

But the flower beds all over campus offer a variety of beautiful surprises. There are actually two schools on campus that specialize in flowers and landscaping: the School of Architectural Landscaping and the School of Plant Sciences. There is also a herbarium located in historic Herring Hall. There you will find over 400,000 specimens of herbs and related plants from Arizona and Mexico.

By the way, if you ever head down this way, there is a walking tour map available with details of all the plants you will see on the tour. So come down and see just how beautiful the university campus is.

(To see a larger version of this photo, just click on the image)

To see more of my work, both in photography and digital painting, please visit my website, www.corkrum.com

No comments: