Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Postcard from Chicago–More from Millennium Park

chicago-4

 

In my last entry, I showed you the Chicago skyline as seen through the trellis works of the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Now, here are 2 photos of the pavilion itself:

The first photo shows the pavilion as seen from the Great Lawn. Now, you can see how the trellis connects to the stage…and by having people in this photo, you get a better feel for its immense size. As I said last time, the Pavilion itself seats 4,000 people and the Great Lawn, under the trellis, accommodates an additional 7,000 people. The Pavilion stands 120-feet high, with a billowing headdress of brushed stainless steel ribbons that frame the stage opening and connect to the overhead trellis of crisscrossing steel pipes. It was designed by Frank Gehry.

The second photo, which I photographed last spring on my first visit (which explains why there are tulips in the photo), is the side of the pPvilion.  The structure which rises above the stage needs to be seen from all angles to be appreciated.chicago-3

As I wrote this blog, I suddenly realized how much a role architecture played in my last visit to Chicago. Besides Millennium Park, I saw photos on display at the Chicago Institute of Art of the many buildings designed by Louis H. Sullivan as well as architectural remnants from his buildings that have been demolished over time. But, I also got to see a few of his buildings that still exist today. Amazing structures…way ahead of their time.

In addition, I also visited the home of another famous Chicago architect and one-time apprentice to Sullivan, none other than Frank Lloyd Wright. A future blog will cover my visit to his home in nearby Oak Park. 

No comments: