Saturday, June 04, 2005

Tom Voorhees - A One-of-a Kind Sketch Artist

[Walnut Creek, CA] As I get ready for my first major show of the year and my first show ever in California, I am thinking about some of the artists I have left behind up in Leavenworth. One of the great bonuses of being a full time artist is the friendship and help of other artists you meet along the way. And Leavenworth has proven to be a treasure trove for me in that regard. Occasionally, I will write about some of my artist friends.

Today, I want to tell you about a sketch artist named Tom Voorhees. Tom is an interesting character, to say the least. He is in his late 50's or 60's and has been an artist for many, many years. He has all the money he needs and his requirements for life are quite simple. Outside of art, he has been a teacher and occasionally still fulfills that role. I recently took a sketching class from him at McDee's Art Center in Wenatchee, and I can highly recommend Tom as a teacher. He lives a bit of a vagabond life, traveling all over the country, but loves spending the warmer months in Leavenworth, where he shows his art every weekend.

He and I have had many interesting discussions about life and art. He is by nature a liberal Democrat while I would term myself a moderate Republican. As you can imagine, this has led to many spirited debates, although we agree on things more than we disagree. He is also a voracious reader and we talk about books all the time. He also is a rebel against technology, which means that doesn't own a computer or a cell phone or any of the other devices that I find indispensable.

Lately, we have been discussing his art and his new approach toward creating art. Tom does beautiful pencil and pen sketches of people and places, as well as the occasional abstraction. His work is excellent and has been well received. Over the years, he estimates that he has sold over 60,000 prints of his work as well as countless originals. His works have appeared in galleries and retails stores across the country.

This year, he made a momentous decision: he will no longer create prints of his works. This means that if you buy one of his originals, especially the newer ones, you are buying the only copy in existence.

Think about that...buying the only copy of an original artwork. I like the idea and have already purchased one. It came already matted and ready to frame...all for the low price of $22. I plan to buy more when I find my way back to Leavenworth.

Tom's work is very good, and his goal for the remainder of his life is to be remembered as a good artist, long after he is gone. I admire that goal and perhaps long for the very same thing myself, although I still have a hard time believing sometimes that I am an artist and definitely have a long way to go.

If you are in Leavenworth sometimes in the next few months, stop by and see Tom's work and if you are so inclined, invest a couple of bucks in his one-of-a-kind works.

No comments: